Company & Business Law, Property Law, Asset Protection, Employment Law, Family Law and Estate Planning & Administration
- Direct dial (07) 571 3835
- Email luke.stewart(at)hobec.co.nz
Luke specialises in company, commercial, property and employment law. He joined Holland Beckett in 2006 and was appointed a Partner in 2014.
Luke's experience in the includes the following:
- Acting for Foodstuffs Members in the purchase and sale of Pak n Save and Gilmour stores in Tauranga and Auckland. Undertaking an independent review of Foodstuffs new structuring and franchise agreements in 2016 on behalf of 320 Pak n Save, Gilmours, New World and Four Square store owners
- Acting for Property Manager Limited on leasing and general commercial advice.
- Advising Services South East (NZ) Limited on contractual negotiations with Local Councils and Transit NZ.
- Acting for national building companies and other construction and property development companies on national and international licensing, contractual matters, drafting building contracts and drafting franchise agreements.
- Advising high net worth individuals and national companies on business, trust, leasing, farm sales and restructuring matters.
- Advising on structuring and preparing contractual documents for numerous charitable trusts including AIMS Games Trust, Legacy Trust, Legacy Funeral Homes Limited. Tax, structuring and Securities Act 1978 advice to Legacy Trust for the development of the first prepaid funeral trust of its kind in New Zealand where all profits are returned to the community.
- Acting for SME’s on a range of employment matters including appearances at mediation and in the Employment Relations Authority. Advising on employment matters in Employment Court matters.
- Negotiating and drafting independent contractor agreements for commercial clients including Frasers Papamoa Limited, Empathica NZ Limited and Services South East (NZ) Limited.
- Undertaking constitutional changes for Priority One in 2010 including disestablishment of electoral committee and new trustee appointment provisions.
- Acting for property developers on commercial and property matters including multiple lot subdivisions.
Previous work experience
Prior to joining Holland Beckett, Luke worked:
- For the Department of Trade and Industry in London in its insolvency law and company department undertaking investigation and prosecutions against directors.
- As an Employment Lawyer for the Federation of Small Businesses (UK's leading small business association) providing advice to members.
- Three years as a solicitor for the firm Langley Twigg (a leading Hawkes Bay commercial law firm) in Napier in the commercial/property and employment teams.
LLB, Canterbury University 2000
Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 2001
- Community Activity
Board member of Tauranga Chamber of Commerce for eight years, and immediate past President of Tauranga Chamber of Commerce
Honorary solicitor for the Bay of Plenty Deerstalkers Association
Pillans Point School Board of Trustee member